Russell Lea Public School logo

Russell Lea Public School

Russell Lea Public School

The Golden Rule

Telephone02 9713 8267

Emailrusselllea-p.school@det.nsw.edu.au

Our History

Russell Lea Infants' School was opened in 1931 and is the largest Infants' School in NSW. 

The first move towards the establishment of a school at Russell Lea was made in 1927 by Mr. J.R. Lee, M.L.A. This followed a need for a closer school for young children in the vicinity of Russell Lea, who had long walks to the existing schools at Drummoyne, Five Dock and Haberfield. 

It was only a matter of time before the Education Department recognised the necessity for such a school and in March 1928 negotiations were completed. The land comprising of 2 acres, 3 roads and 27 perches was purchased from Mr. E.D. Bennett at a cost of £5,000. 

School Inspector Mr Riley recommended an infants' school be provided and following this a formal application was lodged on 18th April by the Fairlight Progress Association supported by the names of 270 prospective pupils. School Inspector Mr Back concurred with the recommendations of Mr Riley and approval was finally given for the school on 17th November, 1928. 

The work of erecting the building was delayed due to lack of finances. However in August 1930 provision of the building was passed as "an unemployed relief work" to be carried out by the Building Construction Industrial Undertaking. The contract was for £7,449. 

The two storey main building built in 1930 still stands today.